Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade from 98 to 2K, programs don't work. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rallynut

MIS
Jun 14, 2001
US
We are seeing several cases where our PC support team is upgrading users from 98 to 2000 and the user loses the ability to run various programs. If they are granted admin rights (we have an NT domain so this is not acceptable) the programs will work. I have been searching high and low for a solution. Some suggestions have been to modify security settings in the registry. In some cases it has helped, but in general it causes more harm than good.

We have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software (as the user when possible). It does not seem to help at all.

Common approach is make them local power users (and if that doesn't work make tham local (not domain) adminstrators (which means they'll have as much control of their PCs as when win98).

Other approaches include changing file security permissions where appropriate (this is more localised than making users Power Users or Administrators) or changing registry branch security permissions (using regedt32) where appropriate. The 'where appropriate' you'll need to discover for the apps you run.

There are also local security policies (which define what level of user can perform certain classes of tasks) which you can tweak by adding 'Users' group to appropriate entries.

Personally, I'd try the power user approach & if not enough, make them all local administrators.

Making the users a local admin has helped in some cases. I think this problem is just too messy to have a clean solution. We will keep tweaking registry settings and adjusting local permssions until we get them working. The best solution is obviously not to upgrade at all and start fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back