Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade from 2K to XP-Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

nctechno

Technical User
Sep 10, 2005
US
I want to upgrade my 2K machines to XP-Pro but want to keep all my old stuff/programs/files. Is it possible to install with out having to wipe my drive clean? Also, if I don't like the installation, can I reverse it and how? Thanks.

Thanks for the tip; right after I posted my question, I found a site that explained pretty much what you said; thanks again.

It might be worth considering that Vista is nearly upon us and to bypass XP, wait a few months, and go straight in to Vista?

I'm opened to all options right now. But, why not Wolluf?

Hey, I only said it might be worth considering.

As with any new operating system there is going to be a bedding in process and probably it wont reach its full potential and reliability until SP1 is released. That said, the latest Beta have been quite reliable except for the fact that many third party manufacturers haven't kept pace with Vista and still have to amend their software and drivers to accommodate it. As Vista is about to be released to OEM manufacturers shortly I expect that situation will improve greatly.

What you have to ask yourself is do you want to spend dollars on a very reliable XP or spend dollars on an improving all the time Vista.

Anyway you can check out your machine and see how compatible it is with Vista.

Microsoft Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor 1.0.0000000.309

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back