Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade Extreme 8810's, or scrap them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdooer

Technical User
Apr 21, 2006
CA
Hello. We currently use one 8810 with redundant MSM-G8X', as well as redundant power supplies and many 48 port gig line cards as our 'core' network device. I say 'core', but the device is not doing any routing at all, and simply acts as one very large L2 switch. We have another device that is almost identical to this one sitting in a storage closet. We are looking to upgrade our core, and the boss thinks we should be looking at 6500's from Cisco. But I would like to investigate putting the second one in service, moving the routing off of our firewalls and onto the 8810's (yes, we currently do all routing on a pair of SPLAT Checkpoint firewalls), and maybe upgrading the boxes so they can support 10G.

My question is this, are these boxes worth upgrading, maybe adding newer MSM's, or should we just move them to a lab? If I wanted to simply add 10G capability to these units, do I need to upgrade the old MSM's, or can I just add 10G line cards?

Hey cdooer,
Can u paste the 'show slot' command output ?

Ixix CC, SWE, LCNCS-C, LNCS-OF ,3CSA, 3CNTS, 3CSE, NNCAS, NNCDS, ENA, ENA-PS, ENS, CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP

Slots Type Configured State Ports Flags
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slot-1 G48T G48T Operational 48 MB
Slot-2 G48T G48T Operational 48 MB
Slot-3 G48T G48T Operational 48 MB
Slot-4 G48T G48T Operational 48 MB
Slot-5 G8X G8X Operational 8 MB
Slot-6 G8X G8X Operational 8 MB
Slot-7 G48Ta G48Ta Operational 48 MB
Slot-8 G48Ta G48Ta Operational 48 MB
Slot-9 G48Ta G48Ta Operational 48 MB
Slot-10 G48Ta G48Ta Operational 48 MB