Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade DHTML project to ASP.NET?

Status
Not open for further replies.

udo321

Programmer
Feb 16, 2005
US
Hi all,
I am in need of opinions. I have a fairly large DHTML application that needs to be deployed on a machine running XP Service Pack 2. Naturally, the application won't run as is. I have been told that time is not the issue, efficiency is (the old DHTML project was only successfully deployed to one of several machines that it was tried on - not sure what those issues were). What I am trying to determine is if it is more beneficial/efficient to try and fix the existing application (which consists numerous reports and a data environment that connects to a SQL database) or upgrade to ASP.NET (I understand from Microsoft's site that upgrading DHTML is not supported and would involve a lot of code rewriting).

Any opinions/experiences would be greatly appreciated!

I think you'll find that, in this case [smile], Microsoft are correct and you would end up rewriting the entire application. I would say the end results would be beneficial but it would be a lot of work if it is a large project.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need help finding an answer?

Try the search facility ( or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Thanks ca8msm. I appreciate the input. Since our sysadmin is pushing for a rewrite (due to deployment problems with the DHTML app), I will probably rewrite it in ASP.NET.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back