Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade deadline 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naro

Technical User
Sep 4, 2003
US
I've downloaded the Win10 ISO to upgrade my Win 7, but I don't want to perform the upgrade at this time. Does anyone know if the "free upgrade" is keyed to the download of the ISO, meaning I can install after the deadline without cost? Or when I install, if after the deadline, is the registration process going to require me to pay?

Not keyed to the ISO, it is keyed to your Windows key on the servers and if it has been upgraded to Windows 10 at anytime during the free upgrade period, you would still be able to upgrade to 10. In other words, if you upgrade but roll back to previous windows version, you would still qualify to get 10 even after the 29th. At least that is what I have read.

@Naro,

If you have downloaded it during the the Free upgrade period , then it will be valid. If you face any problem you can simply call on the below number 1-800-936-5700 and tell them you have upgradede it during the Upgrade period and the you want re-install again.

You Current Windows key is the Authenticate Code (key) for your Win10.

Regards,
Dave|Tech Support Team
MIND IS MOST POWERFUL ELEMENT

Naro,

Did you try to go the route suggested by DaveSolan? If so, can you please share your failure or success story in case anyone else is in the same boat? Based on the way licensing works, I would assume that rclarke250's response was right on.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Evidently Microsoft really, really wants Windows 7, 8 & 8.1 users to upgrade to 10. While the initial one year upgrade year did end, fear not searching fingers, Microsoft does still allow the upgrade to Windows 10, you just need to use the right search parameters. Include "accessibility" or perhaps "assistive technology".

We have not announced an end date of the free upgrade offer for customers using assistive technology. We will make a public announcement prior to ending the offer.

We are not restricting the free upgrade offer to specific assistive technologies. If you use assistive technology on Windows, you are eligible for the free upgrade offer.

I'm helping someone who doesn't have internet access and whose laptop hadn't any updates since two years ago. I've started the upgrade and so far no roadblocks. (I had tried using the MediaCreationTool which seemed to work at first, it downloaded Win10 and verified it but always got stuck seeking update files.)

That's basically dishonest whether it works or not - you know that?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

In what way? This is what the tech at my local computer store told me. Though I must admit I don't know what 'assistive' refers to, even the the web page didn't say.

Well, if you downloaded it from that page you agreed to (kind of) the line that said "Yes, I use assistive technologies and I am ready for my free upgrade to Windows 10.", and if you don't know what assistive refers to, then that statement could not have been true. (Types of Assistive Technology Products)

The free upgrade extension available now is for those who are disabled and use these assistive technologies. It's supposed to give hardware vendors time to make their products compatible with Windows 10, and let disabled users wait until that time to upgrade. I will say that it's odd that Microsoft is so loosey-goosey about it, considering they have very specific rules and license agreements (overly restrictive at times) for everything else. They do not state specifically what qualifies or does not qualify you, no EULA to agree to, etc.

If you had read that agreement, it would have told you that it was not for "normal" users to get a free Windows 10 upgrade after the last day it was offered.

I think this is a bit of a sticky point. At what stage does and can MS police this? Leaving such a huge loophole open like this I really think MS arent that silly.

I mean, we all use some sort of assistive technology? Joy stick, touch screen, mess about with TTS?

ACSS - SME
General Geek

They aren't going to "police it" but they may just end it for all the moochers.
Link

I still think we all know that assistive technologies are not required for "normal" healthy people with good eyes, fingers, etc. But do what you want - nobody is going to track you down for it or make you send in a doctor's note.

Microsoft has been notified about the download for the Microsoft 10 accessibility being used for people to update and they don't care. The deadline was to push people into upgrading to windows 10. It costs them millions if not billions to support windows 7 and 8. The more people that upgrade to windows 10 the happier they are. The upgrade will only allow you to upgrade to windows 10 from a licensed version of 7 or 8, it will not allow you to install a new version on a disk drive (for example)

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Then why not make it front page news again - free Windows 10 upgrades now available. Why give it to people who are being less than honest about their situation. That's bad on both ends.

Well, I'm back. I didn't install Windows 10. So now that I'm dealing with Windows 7, I'm back to my original issue, laptop last updated in Nov 2014 and it won't do any Windows updates. It gets stuck on searching for updates. I've tried KB3172605 but nothing worked there. The Windows 7 forum thread1726-1769241 says KB3020369 needs to be installed first and must be offline during part of these installs. I'll try that next. If it's a challenge for me, how in the world is a non-techie to figure this out?

It will usually finish if you just let it go, but.... per this thread and my own use of the procedure
Link

Also: Link

When installing this roll-up to a new installation of Windows 7 SP1 and/or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1:
Install the KB3102810 and KB3083710 updates, reboot
Then install the April 2015 servicing stack update (with no reboot) KB3020369
Then install the CR

o “Servicing Stack Update” KB3020369 must be installed first, or the roll-up will report “the update is not applicable”. Update KB3020369 is a relatively small update and can be applied with no reboot.
· This roll-up consumes approximately 2 GB of disk space after installation.

o During installation, this roll-up may use approximately 4 GB of disk space. About ½ of the 4 GB will be released during the restart after installation, as the temporary disk space used by the roll-up installer is released.

>>> Disable your network connection until the reboot after installing the rollup. Otherwise the WU client may try to contact WU and start the process of comparing what is in the OS now versus what is available.

>>> Instead of choosing the option "Automatically install" when presented with the option for Windows updates, users should choose "Ask Me Later" when installing the rollup.

>>> After reenabling their network connections, users should then change the Windows Update setting

I had made so many attempts and obviously out of order as compared to goombawaho's list, so to clean out my failed efforts I had to first use System Restore to go back in updates time.

It should be noted that Microsoft probably doesn't have any HUGE motivation to fix the Windows 7 updating process by throwing resources at the problem when they really are considering Windows 7 the new Windows XP, i.e., please move on to Windows 10 and forget about Windows 7.

I recently got two BRAND NEW Windows 7 computers for a customer - exactly the same. I ran the same procedure on both from above and one finished all updates from the RollUp and then online updates without ANY delays. The other did the rollup and then hung when it went to find online updates. Go figure!!! No logic to that scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back