Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

upgrade bcm 400 3.6 to 3.7 then 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmcilnay

Programmer
Sep 20, 2006
US
I finally got the BCM running smooth after upgrade to 3.6. Now the upgrade to 3.7 stalled at 78%. Can't use EM or telnet to access system.
My goal is 4.0, I have a new hard drive, can I simply install the new hard drive, patch and program or do I need to get this upgrade to 3.7 completed?

You could have gone from 3.6 to 4.0 with a 3.6 to 4.0 Keycode.

there are other things besides the OS that gets upgraded so a direct replace with a 4.0 HD may not do it 100%. I thank the BIOS also gets written in the upgrade.

Is the new HD 4.0?

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

the new hd is 4.0
I've tried to run a patch wizard, upgrade wizard, the validation takes but the file transfer times out. Can't telnet either.

Yes the BIOS gets upgraded when doing a proper s/w upgrade. The core profile would also get upgraded. Swapping the 3.6/3.7 HD to a 4.0 is not the way to go. I suggest putting in a 3.6 HD and restoring the backup u should've taken prior to the upgrade and then restart the s/w upgrade. This way all parts will be upgraded properly and the USB ports will also become functional after the proper upgrade.

I don't have another 3.6/3.7 hard drive. I'm going to put a monitor on during boot up and go from there.

A Monitor won't help you unless you know what your doing and I haven't meet one yet, including me.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

At the risk of sounding ridiculous - there IS a simple fix for the 3.7 upgrade being stalled at 78%. Unfortunately, I can't recall the exact fix action nor can I find a cheat-sheet on my PC. If you have access to Nortel solutions database, there is definitly a solution with a fix action. I just don't curently have access or I would dig it up for you.

Sorry I don't have the exact fix.... I've been racking my brain but...

PuTTY.....couldn't telnet, had to use putty, I am assuming the 3.7 doesn't support telnet? Once I got in I used a recovery guide to repair Apache that 66Brian hooked me up with on a previous post.

Thanks to all!!

Here's the recovery guide:
https://app51.nortelnetworks.com/GBSJSP/gbsViewAttach.jsp?ID=023371-01

https://app51.nortelnetworks.com/GBSJSP/gbsViewAttach.jsp?ID=023371-01
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back