Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade BCM 3.5 to 4.0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mndiver

Technical User
Aug 6, 2008
US
Trying to locate some information on what i would need to upgrade a system from BCM 3.5 to BCM 4.0. I know you have to step to 3.6, then to 4.0. Are there any worries/gotcha's that i need to deal with? What do i order, do i need special parts/software other than the upgrade codes? Help if you can... thank you! dt

Yes.
Make sure to change the date to 1/1/2008 prior to the 3.6 upgrade.
The 4.0 Upgrade Guide has all the rest of the info in it you'll need.
Be sure also to order the correct upgrade keycodes.
You'll need a 3.5 to 3.6 upgrade key and a 3.6 to 4.0 upgrade key.
Make sure you retrieve the keycodes in that order as well.

-SD-

That part is good, and i thank you very much for that SG. I am fishing for some more indepth info regarding Bit Tool, and other applications i may need to include. I have a lot of experience with the BCM... New systems... just not so much upgrading.

are there multiple bit tools that i need or other things that i am not thinking about. I know it takes about 3 hours per upgrade (3.5 to 3.6 jump) and another 3 hours for the 3.6 to 4.0 jump. I know that my programming "SHOULD" stay in the box... can i B-U my database in 3.6 and restore it to 4.0 if it gets wiped out?

Thanks again SG for your assistance... maybe you'll know some of these answers as well. :-D

No problem.

OK .. On the backup, the answer is no.
The backup can only be restored to the same version.

That's a good lead to the BIT.
The BCM Imaging Tool allows you to reimage a BCM HDD to any of the images available.
When you purchase the BIT, you get a s/w CD.
You need a CD ROM that runs via IDE or USB.
You also need to appropriate image to apply to the BCM HDD.

So, you really only need the BIT if the upgrade fails and you want to get back to where you started.

The 3.5 to 3.6 will take a couple of hours.
The 3.6 to 4.0 is about 1 hour 45 minutes.
Once you get to 4.0 apply the latest SU patches at a minimum. I suggest applying all of the current GA patches.

I've taken to not even doing a backup prior to the upgrades. We really aren't equipped to use the backup if there is a failure and it just takes up extra time.

If you really want to be prepared, get a 3.6 HDD and a 4.0 HDD in case of a disaster. Or, you can buy the BIT and get the images for 3.5, 3.6, and 4.0.

Good Luck!

-SD-

okay, now we are getting somewhere. Thank you SD (i put SG for Support Guy earlier). I will put this info to good use. I selected a star for that one. thanks again! dt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back