Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade 406v2 2.1(27) to 4.0(5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie77

Programmer
Oct 15, 2004
GB
Brand new PCS 10 406v2 2.1(27). I couldn't upgrade this straight to 4.0(5) as TB80 says. I kept failing saying the 406 didn't have enough memory!!!!

I had to go via 3.1(999).

Can anyone confim this is the correct upgrade procedure????

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Upgrade procedure should be 2.1 (27) to 3.0 (999) to 3.1(65)
to 3.1(999) to 3.2(55) to 4.0(5)
Note: 2.1 has only 5 or 6 meg memory. Once upgraded to 3.1(65) memory increases to 48 or 49 meg.

"The lack of money is the root of all evil

That is Free memory.

"The lack of money is the root of all evil

Is there a deffinitive Avaya guide to what upgrade steps are needed from each particuar software level??

Everyone has there own opinion on what is needed. I try and do more steps that is probably needed but it makes me feel safer about it!!!!!!
I have tried to write my own in the past for our less experienced engineers from reading through all the Tech Bulletins but it is not easy!!!

Jamie Green

i more and more use DTE port and clear the box and let it pull the firmware i want it to have
upgrading takes a lot of time that usely i don't have (read i don't get)

I also dte the damn thing.

But first making an export and after an import.

Works for me every time, never had one rebooting after an upgrade with dte.

Greets Peter

I'm curious, when you DTE the box and import an older release config, do you ever run into "translation" problems by not doing the "stepped" upgrade?

I recently upgraded a system from 2.1 (private build) to 4.05(6601) and had tremendous problems with the conversion of the LCR table to the ARS table within a 5 node SCN. It's sorted now, but after reading these threads I'm curious if the DTE method of upgrading would have produced diffrent results. (e.g. less trouble with LCR => ARS conversion)

that could solvedby going to 3.2 and then upgrade thenormal way

but then still you will have issues going from lcr to ars
ars works different and needs adjustments anyway

Surely even if you DTE the software the .999 releases are still required to sort the boot loaders out. Aren't they???

I only ever use the DTE when a box needs it. If nothing else, it's usually a pain in the arse to get to the back of the unit when it's in the cab!!!

Jamie Green

you don't need a bootloader if DTE is used

Just AT-X and off you go straight from A to B????

Jamie Green

Check IP Office Technical Bulletins
Whenever upgrading check the latest IP Office Technical Bulletins for the various IP Office software releases involved before proceeding. These may contain information relating to changes that occurred after this document was completed. Bulletins are available from
Multi-Stage Upgrades
As indicated in the table below, the upgrade path may require several intermediate upgrades. Skipping an intermediate level may lead to incorrect system operation and configuration corruption. Multi-stage upgrades are only necessary for control units. External expansion modules can be upgraded directly between any two levels supported by the module.

Control Unit
.bin File

Small Office Edition
ip401ng.bin
Unvalidated 2.0 > 2.1
Validated 2.1 > 3.0 > 3.1 > 3.2 > 3.2(999) > 4.0(X).

IP406 V2
ip406u.bin
Unvalidated –
Validated2.1 > 3.0 > 3.0(999) > 3.1 > 3.1(999) > 3.2 > 4.0(X).

IP412
ip412.bin
Unvalidated 1.3 > 2.1
Validated 2.1 > 3.0 > 3.1 > 3.2 > 4.0(X).

IP500
ip500.bin
Unvalidated –
Validated 4.0.0 > 4.0(X).

I found this in the doecumentation.

have a look at the upgrade procedure in TB80.

It basically says multi stage upgrade is not needed

Jamie Green

Just DTE it.

Also by export import i don,t mean the config!!!!!!!!!

I export to a csv file (users,phoneboek,incoming,etc)and then import an csv file.

Greets Peter

Straight out of the box upgrade to 3.1(999) then to 4.0(5)

Erase the config using manager and away you go. No need to DTE

In the toolkit (knowledge base) gKnight??

Jamie Green

Yes, in the toolkit. Look in the 4.0. Search for exactly what I put above. It is the 2nd search result found. The first one is something about BOOT file, but that is off subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back