Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade 2x36GB to 2x73GB Raid1 Array on LSI1030

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGyver68

MIS
Dec 31, 2003
FR
Hi all.
I'm working on an xServer x335 with integrated RAID LSI 1030.

I want to upgrade the existing RAID1 2x36GB to RAID1 2x72GB.

I've already replaced the 2 disks and the rebuild is over.

The pb is that ServeRAID Manager can't upgrade with integrated controllers.

As I don't want to rebuild the RAID and reinstall everything, I have one question:

A friend has an x225 with ServeRAID 4Mx (I worked with him on upgrading 4x36GB to 4x72GB disks, so I know it's possible there). If I take my 2x72GB and plug them in the ServeRAID 4Mx, will I be able to:

- Extend the free size to the RAID1
- Most important!!: Return my 2x72GB to the LSI controller

Thanx in advance for your help.

MG.

ServeRAID and the LSI 1030 do not have the same metadata. ServeRAID will just see two empty drives.

Something you could try.... First, I assume you have the old 36G drives as backups...

Break the mirror... ie go back to two single drives.

Remove the second drive

Use partition magic to stretch the first drive partition to fill drive.

Add the second drive and reestablish the mirror. Dont specify the 'quicksync' method.

I believe that will do what you want.

hi,
I belive you have to invest a part of your time to be able
to backup and restore your system on/from an external
(USB to IDE) disk. This experience will be useful to you
for future disaster recovery.

Exist on the WEB cd iso images as WinPE, 911 cd builder,
that use WindowsXP to boot and run an OS from CD: at beginning they say "Press F6" and you can give the same floppy (if needing) by which you install OS.
Inside these CD, there are sw as Ghost (6?) which
can give you the ability to see your C: and backup it
over an image.
You can also use a Network share, to save your image
after you have configured the nic for the session.

You can also use Ghost starting from CD(win9x) or Floppy(DOS), but it is a nightmare when you have to put DOS drivers for SCSI (also if you get the driver, you will have problem with memory: HIGH,LOW, ecc).

When you have gor these, or other tools,
backup your system on a image, save your little disks,
insert the big two, build mirror, and restore image on new volume.

bye

Ok, you can try this. I know it works with raid cards so should be same principle with LSI.

Remove one 36GB drive and replace it with 72GB drive and let it rebuild.
Once rebuild is complete remove other 36GB drive and replace it with 72GB and let it rebuild.

Once that is done go to disk management and you should see the extra space. Extend your primary partition to include that space.

Hi,
Could anybody tell me if the procedure related from ibmtech65 with two disk from 36 GB that are replaced with two of 73 GB was or not successfull on a internal LSI channel please ?
Will realy Windows be able to see those aditional 36 GB and let you create a new partition in this array ?
I expected taht the LSI would report to windows that only 36 GB is avalaible ?
So please, be kind to confirm me if I'm wrong ?
Many thanks.

I'm faced with the exact same issue, on a ServeRAID adapter on a xSeries 342.. need to expand to 72 Gb as well and was considering the method mentioned by IBMtech65..

I tried the method of replacing one larger drive at a time and resyncing - it didn't work for me. I synced a new 300GB drive to my original 73.4GB one and that operation went well but afterwards my 300gb was seen as a 73.4 drive with no free space. Does anyone know how to remedy this? I've tried several partition utilities but none saw any extra space.

(As a side note, I did successfully upgrade the other new 300GB by sidestepping the LSI sync altogether and only using Acronis True Image to image the original disk and then restore to the new drive. Afterwards I used Acronis Disk Director to adjust the partition to include the additional free space.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back