Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade 2003 server to Terminal Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikehday

MIS
Mar 28, 2003
US
Can I upgrade a Windows 2003 server to a Terminal server which has applications already installed? We have a standard server and the key application that the users want to share is already installed on this server. Can I just upgrade the server to a Terminal server or do the applications need to be reinstalled so multiple users can use this application at the same time?

You can install terminal services on window 2003 server and there is no need to reinstall application just go to add and remove program and then from add and remove windows component install terminal services, so users will be able to use application when you select application mode not administrative mode while installing terminal services.so users will be able to use applications.

According to MS, once you install Terminal Services, you will need to reinstall any apps you are going to use remotely with Terminal Server. When reinstalling the apps, you need to use Add/Remove programs to start the setup program for the App. This does not apply if you are just going to use the standard 2 terminal server connections for remote admin.

Thank you for the clarification. I had not started that project yet. Do you know where i can find an article describimg this.

Because of the previous post i told my boss it could be done. Now to get me out of the corner it'd be better if i could show him some article describing why we have to spend a many hours reinstalling and configuring the applications on a server after we've upgraded it to a Terminal server. And yes ... its not the 2 standard user Terminal server i require. More than two people want to monitor an application that can only be utilized while logged into the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back