Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Upgrade 2000 to 2005 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hondy

Technical User
Mar 3, 2003
GB
Hi

I need to upgrade my SQL 2000 Standard to SQL 2005 Standard.

I have had a read of the upgrade docs from microsoft which says there is an upgrade advisor and i have read some checklists etc.

In reality, is this just a case of running the new setup over the existing 2000 installation. Ok you can flame for assuming it will be that straight forward but potentially is this what I'm looking at or am I horribly mistaken?

Say I had a really basic server, is it a case of backup+install or is there an upgrade process that takes days?

Cheers!

Hondy,

being new to the SQL Server World and having to move quite some databases to 2005 I actually used the SQL advisor first. And in two cases the tool even found something useful. OK it was packaged software which had to be upgraded too - but there are some changes in DDL which might be forgotten.

Beside that: I used backup/restore and setting the compatibility level in database options - worked perfect.
Detach/Attach should do the job too; but since I had to move to different hardware as well I used backups.

AFAIK you can install 2000 and 2005 on one box in parallel and thus moving your databases.

Juliane

thanks Juliane

Nice to know.

I checked into the parallel installs, this is know as a migration path rather than an upgrade path and this might cause me issues, but it's good to know the Advisor worked well on your upgrade. Can you tell me is the Advisor part of the setup.exe or do you have to download it from somewhere?

Cheers

thanks very much, it found loads of issues! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back