Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating WIN 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

nandamuri

Programmer
Feb 26, 2002
US
Hi,
I already have Windows 2000 professional installed on my PC. I was having some problems with installing some software applications on it. So one of the tech help guys advised me to try to upgrade to Windows 2000 again, in case something went wrong in the initial setup will get fixed. So i inserted the win2000 CD and chose the option for upgrade. Now during the upgrade,it started rebooting and it sturck while installing drivers for mouse and keyboard etc. It is not progressing any further.
How can i fix this. I got some important docs on my harddisk.
I have a second partition with linux on this PC.

Thanks in advance.
sree

If you have Linux on the PC, then you probably installed it after Windows 2000. I hope you know your way around your Linux boot program, because Windows usually overwrites it. Rule of thumb; always install the dumbest O/S first. DOS, then Windows, then Linux.

You can salvage your documents by going into Linux and running Samba, then backing them up using Amanda, or whatever backup software you use.

As for Windows 2000, you should be able to restore it using the Recovery Console, also on the Windows 2000 CD - by booting from the CD. Re-Running Upgrade is a peculiar choice, IMO. Note, as I said above, if you run the Recovery Console, Windows 2000 will probably overwrite your boot record, so you will need to reconfigure grub/lilo/whatever you use. Some distros are really good like this, and you can simply boot from the Linux CD and recover the existing installation.

Hope this helps CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks. I installed win2000 first and then linux. I use grub.
I will try to implement your suggestions and lets see how it goes.
cheers
sree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back