Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating Time value to a date/time value

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimBiesiek

Programmer
Nov 3, 2004
AU
Hi all,

I have a column in a table that is storing just a date, and another column that used to store just the time. This 2nd column is now storing both the date and time (1/07/2005 11:57:00).

However, I have some old data that only has the time in this column. I want to update these records to have the date and time, but can't find an easy way to do it.

I have created an update query as below, but this updates the time field to 2 days before the date field...

Code:
UPDATE    arc_FieldResult
SET              RTime = RDate + ' ' + RTime
WHERE     (SUBSTRING(CONVERT(varchar(50), RTime), 1, 11) = 'Dec 30 1899')

For example, if the date was 10/07/2005 and the time was 11:57:00, this query would update the time field to show 8/07/2005 11:57:00.

Note that in the query, the where clause only pulls up the records that only have the time in...

Any help would be great thanks!

Try using || instead of +
something like this:
SET RTime = RDate || ' ' || RTime

The syntax that cognos suggested does not work in sql server. Its an oracle concatenation operator.

Since both values are datetime + should sum them up.
Sample Code
Code:
create table #TableDate (v_date datetime)
insert into #TableDate values ('10/7/2003')

select v_date + '11:57:00' from #TableDate

Regards,
AA

Hi AA,

Thanks, but I actually want to update the records, not insert new....

I have figured out a way around it as below:

Code:
UPDATE    arc_FieldResult
SET              RTime = CONVERT(char(10), RDate, 101) + ' ' + CONVERT(char(10), RTime, 108)
WHERE     (SUBSTRING(CONVERT(varchar(50), RTime), 1, 11) = 'Dec 30 1899')

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back