Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating the BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

walterono

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
GB
Please excuse a newbie for asking a simple question. I have an American Megatrends 07.00T BIOS dated 04/02/01. How do I locate the latest BIOS update? The American Megatrends website is no good at all.

Walterono,
American Megatrends is just the name/type of your motherboards bios, dozens of other manufactures use this brand of bios too.
What you need to know is:
What make, model and version your motherboard is.
This information is written on the motherboard somewhere, find it, write it down, go to the motherboards website, download the EXACT flash and utility for your motherboard, (similar won't do)
Download Read Me files and any precise information regarding bios flashing.
Follow the proceedure to the letter or if you aren't confident let someone with experience do it for you.
Note*
Incorrectly flashed bios kills motherboards.
Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

I have a PCChips M830LR motherboard which has on it a circular white sticker which says either v9 or 6^. When I go to the PCChips website there are bios updates for versions 1.1, 3 and 5 of this motherboard - there is no later version. Possibly I am interpreting the white sticker incorrectly, but it is the only writing I can find that appears to give any kind of version information. My supplier tells me to look at the motherboard.

Further to my post above, I have now managed to find my BIOS ID, but I am not sure what use I can make of this information.

Walter, you need to also find out the brand MOBO and EXACT model. once you have that info, goto that MOBO makers website and then find/download the bios updater (if any) and also print out exactly how to update the bios for your particular Mobo. best to print the info out so there is no question and you have hardcopy to refer to while your doing the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back