Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating tables in clone of active database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomYC

Technical User
Dec 11, 2008
US
I made a copy of an active database, in order to make serious design changes. Now I'd like to update the tables in the clone, with the goal of switching users over to my "new, improved version." Various import and export options I've tried, including through Excel, leave me with things like Table2, i.e. newly named tables without the existing table relationship structure. I only have a dozen or so tables. Is there a proper, formal way to accomplish this?
Thanks,
T.Y.

If I understand correctly, what you are doing is very wrong.

If this is a multi user database, then there is one and only one way to deploy it correctly. Everything else is begging for problems. on the network you should have the back end datbase with nothing but tables in it. On each users local workstation they should have a copy of the most current front end. It has Forms, reports, modules, macros, and queries. The front end could have some local tables for user specific settings.

Each front end has links to the backend tables. In this way the user only pulls data files across the network. Now if you want to work on the front end and add new features you can do that at any time. When you are done just send the users the new front end.

However, if you are redesigning the back end then this is how I would do it. I would create my new back end with the new table structure. I would link to the tables in the existing database. Now since my tables structure is different I need to run append queries to push the data from the old table into the new table structure. Once done I delete the links.

However, I do not really understand what you are doing. Because if I import a table from one database into another the relationships automatically come across. There is only one method to import a table into another database, and does not involve Excel.

Thanks, MajP--
I was initially recluctant to link tables to the original database, but now I have and it works fine. I take your comments to mean that at some point, when I am ready, I can sever that link and re-create the one I want, at a point where all tables are in synch (up to date) and I can leave the original behind.
T.Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back