Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating Switch Firmware Via Serial Instead of TFTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

250LWB

MIS
Jun 27, 2002
US
I have some 3Com switches that need their firmware updated, specifically some SS Desktop and 3000FX switches. These apparently rely on a server side update via TFTP. Since these are out of a system at present and I have established a minimum of "manager" access to all via Telnet I was wondering if I can perform the updates via the Telnet client.

I *do* have 3Com's serial update utility but it apparently does not work with the older switches and firmware (*.slx files as opposed to *.bin files.)

Can someone give me some direction here?

Thanks!

D

Can´t you access your switches via browser?

There are ways to reset the passwords if it´s the problem.
I´ve read some solutions for it at this forum.

What do you mean with "they are out of a system" ?

Regards,

Gvlima.

There is a reset button at the back of the switch. Press it and the press it again within 15 sec, you should have your console connected. This will bring up a menu that should help you.

Hope this helps.

I may not have been clear on this. These switches are currently not in service - they're sitting in a stack on my bench. I want to update the software without having to configure or install them in the LAN if possible.

Since these don't use the serial utility for updates like the later SS switches do I'm trying to determine a way to update them via the console port or Ethernet.

TIA,

DNP

Hi,

You can upload the software using telnet. make ur machine the tftp server. tftp software is freely available on net. download the latest software from 3com. Connect your machine to the switch. Telnet into the switch. Select SYSTEM > SOFTWAREUPGRADES > give the ip address of your machine. Hope this helps

Raj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back