Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating RPMs RH9

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikester

Programmer
Nov 11, 2001
US
Hi

I had a base install of RH9 and I updated Samba to 3.0.0,openSSL to 0.9.7a-20, krb5-libs etc by downloading the RPMs and running rpm -Ufv *rpm. How do I update the RedHat Distro DB so it is aware of these changes? This a newbie question and maybe I broke my distro?

When I run add/remove apps I can't reinstall anything I updated. Whats the skinny on this? TIA

Ikester
PS I lost the smbclient and was trying to reinstall it, now I get an error saying the above need to be added but they already are! A Howto would be great.

RH is not the best platform to be trying new stuff. Library and header names are a bit different from other distros. i.e. they like to append a .0 behind a .so to make it .so.0. This causes most software to report that you do not have this and that.

I think you need to do a "up2date -p" to update your package list. Worst case scenario is that you will have to remove all your updated RPMs reinstall them from your CD. If you have done an "up2date -u", then you may have to go to to get the latest "old" RPMs for your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back