Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating profile while logging off

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdrScr

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2002
AU
SO WHO LIKES A BIG CHALLENGE???

Hi There.

OK, I have a big problem and it's becoming urgent that I fix it. I have recently upgraded about 7 PC's from Windows NT 4 Workstation to Windows 2000 Pro. As much as I prefer a clean install, this was not an option in this case and an Upgrade had to suffice. The upgrade itself seemed to go OK... just a couple of drivers and that was about it... THEN THE PROBLEMS BEGAN.

I'll just pop in here and tell you the server has not changed, it is Back Office 4.5.

All the staff have roaming profiles which were working fine under NT 4. Ever since the install of Win2K they have been a problem. When the staff are logging off and their profile is updating to the server it will get to a certain file and report something along the lines of "Cannot copy file C:\blah blah blah\ to \\server\profile\ blah blah blah. Network path not found" After I close this window I get "Cannot save roaming profile... Network path not found"

There is no pattern to which file it spits the dummy on. Originally it was a temp internet file so I removed all of them before logging off... it then just spits the dummy on another file. I have read pages and pages of fixes for similar problems all talking about disk quotas and there being "accidental spaces" in the profile paths and none of these have fixed the problem. I have set no disk quota limit and have excluded heaps of folders from updating to the server.

As I said anyway, this only happened with the upgrade of Win2K so paths and disk quotas should not be the issue.

Now for my theory. It seems that the PC while logging off is disonnecting the drive mapping before it completely updates. As I mentioned there is no pattern to which file it will stop on. In can be anything from a program file to an excel document. And like I said, the smaller profiles that update in a matter of seconds seem fine. This is purely a theory so feel free to shoot me down if this is not possible. I did do the old "net config server /autodisconnect:-1" to make sure the autodisconnect of the drive mappings was not the issue.

I am getting desperate now so any help would be appreciated... and soon hopefully.

Thanks in advance.

PS. All PC's are running Service Pack 3. One of the accounting packages have said they will not support the PC's if they have service pack 4 so this is not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back