Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating one unbound by selecting another

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtwig

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2002
US
Hi,
I've got a form with a JobNumber (unbound combo box), JobName (text box), and Contractor (unbound combo box).

The user either selects the JobNumber, if they know it, and clicks a cmdButton that opens a report OR selects the contractor, which opens a drop-down list of Contractor/JobName/JobNumber, which SHOULD populate the JobNumber field so they could click the cmdButton and open the report, but ....

Two problems: (1) If they select the JobNumber, the Contractor box doesn't get updated [since the cmdButton that opens the report uses the JobNumber, this still works but isn't pretty], (2) Bigger problem, when they select the Contractor box and find the contractor/jobname/jobnumber they want, the JobNumber field doesn't get updated and they manually have to go to that field to enter it.

The cmdButton that opens the report runs based on the JobNumber, so that's what I'm looking to do and (2) is more important than (1) above, because one is more of an aethestic fix.

Can I select a line from an unbound combo box (query) that will populate the other unbound combo box?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike

Did you use the combo box wizard to "Find a record"? This creates an unbound combo box that is used to filter / find the record you are looking for.

You can then tweak the combo box for it to work better.

Recent post on how-to...
Access tables

I don't remember how I setup the combo box but I don't have a problem finding the record I want, I just have a problem, once I find the record, to update the other fields on the form automatically... e.g.
JobNumber JobName Contractor
[ ] [ ] [ ]

When I click the Contractor arrow and it opens the drop-down list, I find the record I want from a query that displays all three items. Once it is selected, the Contractor field stays highlighted and the two other fields don't get updated.

Thanks, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back