Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating .NET application in IIS6

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjdrake

Programmer
Jul 11, 2003
GB
My .NET site is hosted using IIS6. I update this site using a simple file copy procedure as explained in the Microsoft web application deployment documentation (quoted below).

As far as I understand (I'm fairly new to this) this seems to state that any current site requests are served before the new application assemblies are used, but when I try this any current users are booted off with error screens.

Am I doing something wrong, or can anyone explain the file copy procedure I should be using to update my site without effecting current users?

Thanks for your help.

MSFT said:
Using Shadow Copy Functionality
The .NET Framework supports shadow copying, a process in which .NET copies each
assembly into a temporary shadow copy directory before opening the assembly (.dll
or .exe) file. This mechanism gives you the ability to recompile or to re-deploy new
versions of assemblies while the application is in use. The new versions of your
assemblies will be used the next time the user starts the application.
In ASP.NET applications, all that happens automatically—the ASP .NET worker
process does the work for you. So to update a Web application you can simply copy
the updated files to the correct location, and ASP.NET automatically handles shutting
down the running application and copying the shadow files. (It’s only that
seamless as long as your application doesn’t use any assemblies requiring registration
for COM interoperability, or assemblies that must be registered in the global
assembly cache.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back