Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating Interbase data in VC++

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToKo

Programmer
Apr 9, 2000
DE
Does anybody have experience?? I tried it via the ATL-Templates but ist didn't work. I know it's possible via SQL statements but in my case it would be a great overhead...

Thomas

I think you can try to do it through ADO using OLE DB provider for ODBS. It should work.

Mukhit

Updating is quite possible to do via consumer templates, but it depends greatly on the provider that you are using: most that I have encountered (especially the free ones) do not support updateable rowsets, so you are normally left only with pass-through to the server (=SQL statements).

One particularly problematic area with using plain commands is that you'll need to somehow manage your position: basically you are forced to preserve your primary key value in order to identify the row which you are updating; if you need to change the primary key, you'll have to do it by deletion-insertion procedure, but this can have unexpected repercussions, say due to foreign-key restrictions. With updateable recordsets, a savvy provider tracks the position automatically.

R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back