Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating from W2K Terminal Services to W2K3 Terminal Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2001
US
I've been trying to do as much research as I can, but as of yet haven't found any good resources with explanations of issues that will occur after upgrading from 2000 to 2003. My scenario is I have 6 terminal servers in application mode (not clustered)with about 60 users assinged a piece running on a W2K network. I am wondering if we should upgrade our DC's first, or if there will be any issues with licensing and such if I upgrade the TS's first. Has anyone done any upgrades from 2000 to 2003 and if so, what kind of problems should I expect to encounter? Thanks in advance!

So your Domain Controllers are going to be running windows 2003 as well right.. I assume one of those machines is the Terminal Services Licensing server?

Here's what I did. I started with my main dc's in the domain (not the terminal servers) and updgraded those to windows 2003 server. i upgraded from scratch machines by the way. Got everything ready on the server that was going to be my new terminal services licensing machine......then, I removed the licenses from my old term serv licensing machine and removed the service all together.. then, installed the licensing on the new server and installed all my licenses again.. but, i was a little paniced when I saw that the only licenses i could install were - "Windows Server 2003 - Terminal Server Per Device/User CAL Token" I went with it, and all my users are getting on fine.. The only thing, all my terminal servers are still 2000, so you shouldn't have a problem at all!

Snoots

definitely do the domain controllers first - the Win2k TS licensing service cannot hold licenses for Win2k3 TS's! You'd be running on temporary CAL's until you got it upgraded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back