Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating formulas using a Record Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimdeb03

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2002
US
I have a report with a simple Record Selection Formula that I want to control via a Parameter {?HideDowns}.

Code:
IF {?HideDowns} THEN 
	if {uspSELECT;1.TrackID} <> "xxx" then TRUE else FALSE
ELSE
true;

This Selection formula works fine where the report will filter out 'xxx' (depending on parameter ?HideDowns) but am finding formulas and summaries do not update accordingly. Results for Formulas and summaries remain the same.

I've tried the different Evaluation Time functions, BeforeReadingRecords,
WhileReadingRecords, WhilePrintingRecords but get 'The formula cannot be evaluated at the time specified'.

Putting the above formula as a Group Selection has no affect. TrackID 'xxx' is not filtered out.

How do you force formulas and summaries to update in this situation?

Thanks
Jim

Try a record selection formula like this:

(
(
{?HideDowns} = true and
{uspSELECT;1.TrackID} <> "xxx"
) or
{?HideDowns} = false
)

-LB

Thanks for the reply
I discovered the problem and now the formulas and summaries are updating as expected. Was looking at the results incorrectly that lead to the confusion.

Still, it's interesting or frustrating why any of the Execution Time functions don't work in Select Functions. What if we wanted to change the order a formula is fired when a Select Function is activated?
Even calling another function that has Execution Time within it isn't possible from a Select Function.

Hi,
Bear in mind that, whenever possible, the selection criteria is applied BEFORE any data returns to the report and, therefore, before any report-based formulas can act based on it.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back