Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

updating flash on 2500

Status
Not open for further replies.

bendster

MIS
Oct 15, 2002
US
I set up a tftp server to send my the latest IOS i have to my 2500 however I don't have enough room on my flash and when i go to erase the current image i get a %dev_open: System flash not writable error message.....so i guess my flash is read-only how can i change that???

Flash cards (almost all) have a tiny switch on the end of them used for write-protection, much like a 3-1/2" floppy disk. Units with Flash modules will likely have a jumper on the mainboard for write-protection. Regards,

Don

Trouble is the flash on a 2500 is a SIMM style.. not a flash card. but there is an option for a card but I've never tried it. gotta open the case to get to it.

I would guess the flash is either the incorrect flash for a 2500 or it's not "offfical" cisco flash. The older boot proms for the 2500 used to check for 2 brands of chips. Intel and someone else.. I forget right now who it is. The newest boot roms will let you use different types.

Again, this is a SWAG and your milage may vary

MikeS "Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Hi Bendster
Some Cisco routers, including the Cisco 2500, are designed to run from Flash memory and can only boot from the first file in Flash memory. To upgrade the system software image on such a router, you must erase the contents of Flash memory so the new system image can be written as the first file. As a result, the upgrade must be performed while running from a media other than Flash.
Hope this helps
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back