Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating Flash files 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoe99

Programmer
May 11, 2001
US
Hi, it seems that everytime I upload an updated flash file to my host server, it doesn't really update, but rather, pulls it out of my cache or something. But...even after I 'delete files' in the internet options and run a disk cleanup, it still manages to pull up what seems like some cached files.

Since you are cleaing out the client cache my guess would be the same is not being done on the server.

That's one guess, but after I update it, I can goto another computer that hasn't access my site, and he sees the updated flash file.

Tulsa and a few others did have this unsolved problem at some point...

thread250-105777

But I think I recall Tulsa then saying he finally got rid of it. It was in an unrelated thread, maybe when he upgrade either IE or Windows, but not sure.
If he comes around (he hasn't posted in a while!), he may recall, how he solved it. Regards,

new.gif

Good thing I'm not alone with this problem. It's driving me nuts too, esp when clients need to see the updated file. I always have to rename and send them an updated URL as well. That's the only solution so far I've come up with, not permanent, but works in the meantime.

Is your client having the same problem? Thought you were the only one, and that your friends and/or your clients did see an updated file! Regards,

new.gif

They have the same problem as well. It's only if they've never seen my flash file yet, that they would see the updated file.

They have the same problem as well. It's only if they've never seen my flash file yet, that they would see the updated file, so it can't be a server cache.

Does everybody you know have the same problem. When I pointed you to Tulsa's problem, I thought you were just one of the few experimenting this... Because when Tulsa had this problem, I and many others would immediately see the updated file.
If it's a browser or OS problem, then that would mean that all your clients have exactly the same set up?
If you posted a link to one of your "just updated file" (put the date, or time or some graphic over it...) we could probably tell you if we see it or not!

Also when uploading your updated file, have you tried deleting the previous version, before doing so, rather than just writing the new one over it, if you're using the same name? Regards,

new.gif

I know of a lot of people (including myself) that have this problem. It is frustrating... you are not alone.

Ok, upon doing this test file, I've come to somewhat of a conclusion. It seems that if you visit the flash site and its larger than a certain size, it will have this problem. Otherwise, if it's a small flash file, it will update easily, even if you've visited it before.

I did a little test on a small flash file, and it seems to update on my browser, everytime I update the file and reupload it.

Anyways, this is confusing me!!!

I'm no expert but I have had this problem too. But not myself only people who visit my site and I think it is because of their internet options. I think the default is for internet explorer to check for new versions of the site "automatically". You have to manually set it to "Every visit to page". you can find the option under the menu tools>internet options and then under the genral tab in the Temporary files section click options you will see what I mean. I could be wrong but maybe this is your problem!
~Shenn

As simple as that sounds, you don't know how much of a break through that is for me! Anyways, it still doesn't solve it on all my other clients computer, unless I tell have the same explorer settings. Hmm...maybe we can ask Macromedia to have a built in update checker, as an publishing option or something.

Just stumbled on a thread on Flashkit that might interest you...

To make sure that cached files are not reloaded, all you need to do, is make sure that the url you are making a request to, is unique, each and everytime. To make the url unique each and everytime, you simply have to change a unique value to the url of the request as a name/value pair.

Code:
unique=new Date().getTime() //will always be unique
this.loadMovieNum("[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.mysite.com/myswf.swf?unique="+unique,1);[/URL]
The above request will be stored in the users cache but the same request will 'never' be made again, therefore the data the browser has stored in the cache will never be displayed/retrieved. Regards,

new.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back