Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating data from other rows within same table

Status
Not open for further replies.

roody91

Technical User
Jan 16, 2002
US
I have a table that contains many records 6 mil today and may grow to over 20m when done.

I have a column called alarm_id which can be common to different rows of data. I have other columns called action_a and userid.

When a new record comes in with a unique alarm_id the action_a filed is 'new' and the userid is= 'new'

When a user acknowledges the alarm another record is generated with the same alarm_id but action_a ='ACK' and userid is set to the user who acknowledged the alarm e.g. 'abc'

What I want to do is set the userid of the action_a 'new' message with the userid of the action_a 'ACK' message for every unique/distinct alarm_id value.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank B.

I think this will work:

update table
set user_id = b.user_id
from
table a join (
select alarm_id,user_id from table
where action_a = 'ACK'
group by alarm_id,user_id) b
on a.alarm_id = b.alarm_id

Good Luck.

Maybe -

UPDATE theTable
SET userid = ( SELECT DISTINCT userid
FROM theTable
WHERE action_a = 'ACK'
AND alarm_id = theTable.alarm_id
)
WHERE action_a = 'new'

Mean Green,

Thanks! your solution seems to be working except for one thing. I believe it updates all records no matter the action_a value(there are about 12 possible values). I would like to only update the records in which action_a = 'new'. I tried adding a where clase before the join but I get a syntax error. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Frank B.

Try This:

update table
set user_id = b.user_id
from
table a join (
select alarm_id,user_id from table
where action_a = 'ACK'
group by alarm_id,user_id) b
on a.alarm_id = b.alarm_id
where a.action_a = 'New'

Hope this helps.

Thanks again!

This works great.

I actually got it on my own before I read your last response. I had been placing the where clause in the wrong location in the message.

Thanks for you help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back