Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating contact details automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

chutney66

Programmer
Jan 20, 2006
Dear all, please excuse the fact that this is not an explicit problem I have, but more of a general query.

I have an Access database (2003) with a load of contact details in it. Including various fields for each contact, such as services they offer, where they are, main contact name etc.

Some of these contact details will be out of date and I want to make sure that all the contact details are up-to-date.

I am in the process of setting up a mail merge with a Word document which will output to Word their relevant details, and this can then be e-mailed to each of the contacts with them to update and e-mail back again. Someone would then manually update each of the contact details.

This is quite a time intensive way of doing it, and I wondered is there a way of automating the process? I don't have the time to put the whole of their details on a website so they can update it over the web, but is there a way that access could possibly read the return Word document to automate updating their details? Or is there another easier way of doing it, without using word and using something else such as Excel or something.

If anyone has any experience in doing this kind of thing I would be really glad of some tips.

Many thanks

It's doable with Word but Excel would be much easier for what you're proposing.

Assuming that you're also useing Outlook, and these contact are internal to your organisation I'd consider
1. builing a custom Outlook form.
2. have Access mail this form to the contacts
3. Contacts mail form back to dedicated mail box with correct details.
4. Access reads forms from Mail box and updates the contact details.

Don't count the days, Make the days count.

Dear Chris

Thanks to your response. That sounds like a definite possibility.

The contacts are actually members of a international trading organisation. I have a couple of queries about your method:

1. Not all the contacts may have outlook, some may be using a client like Gmail or outlook express or worse, will the form still work for them?

2. To get access to mail the form to the contacts, how do I do this? Is it via using VBA code?

3. Is there any sample code anywhere that might help me to get started?

Thanks

If your contacts are external (and may not have outlook) then the Custom outlook for is probebly not the best way to go.

To send the current details to the contacts you could use Access Querys / Reports to mail the users.

To find a programatic solution to update the contacts you will need to ensure all responces are made in a uniform format.

Don't count the days, Make the days count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back