Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating BIOS version is Micros WS5A

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechmaniaMN

Technical User
Apr 1, 2014
US
Hey gang, anyone have any info on updating the BIOS revision in a WS5A? currently have a 1000G BIOS and I was told the most current is Q 2012 F, how do I go about updating that? Where can I get the file?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

I'd enjoy that copy of the WS5A/POSRready2009 BIOS myself, if anyone has it.

Here is a slightly older version in the meantime: Q2011d.

Are there different BIOS revisions intended for use in CE v POSReady2009? I'm running WinCE in the one I'm inquiring about... Trying to find this kind of info on the internet has been a disappointment, I don't see anything out there for downloads, install process, revision history, etc.

There isn't a lot out there - normally these updates are left to Micros employees and most documentation is internal only. My only ace card is that I'm a "larger, tech-savvy client" and get a little more assistance than the average joe.

Here's an update package (BIOS and OS) for the WS5A WinCE model : GR 1.3. Looks like it should be able to be deployed by CAL from the packaging of it. I would test the BIOS upgrade part on a single unit using a USB key before mass deployment - if the WS5A WinCE flash fails, use the POSReady2009 version instead. The few WS5A WinCE devices I've touched all required the BIOS I updated earlier in tandem with the platform update in this file, for reference.

you are fantastic, thanks for the info. the version CE I currently have on here is 6.0-R3 GR2.2, is the 1.3 package older than what I've got here for CE? In a perfect world it would be great to see a configuration matrix of what BIOS goes with what GRx.x. In the .dat files as I browsed that package I see mention of WS5 and WS5A within the same file, and I've seen 1.3 on WS5s before but mine are all 2.1 or 2.2... any concern with that?

Hmmm... On review, it looks like the 6.0 GR1.3 package for the WS5As is a couple of years older than the WS5 package. The packages I got from Micros were mainly meant to get all workstations patched up enough to run the 5.x releases.

In any case, CAL should refuse to install the older package on your workstations if a newer one is already installed. The WS5 and WS5A are also both WinCE 6.0 devices, and run the same OPS code base, so there is probably a fair bit of "code reuse" between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back