Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

updating BIOS on DELL server running ESXi 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

danramirez

Programmer
Oct 25, 2009
ES
Hi again,

I just downloaded latest BIOS update for our DELL Server running ESXi 5.0.

Note that the application is .exe

How do I apply this update to my vmware server? I don't have windows OS installed, how do I run that .exe file from?

Regards,

Daniel

Create a bootable USB thumb drive.

I actually keep one in my kit. Just copy the BIOS update to it and boot the server from it. Works great.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple[/color red] Novell Platinum Partner Microsoft Gold Partner
VMWare Enterprise Partner Citrix Gold Partner

Some of the newer Dell servers also have a "lifecycle management controller". This is essentially a little operating system you can boot into and update bios/firmware.

Hi baddos,

My servers is a Power Edge R410. Under the download section for my server I found "lifecycle controller" which is a .exe file. Should I just copy this file to a CD and try booting my server from there?

Regards,

Daniel

The lifecycle controller would do the downloading for you. It's like a BIOS program that collects the computers inventory and checks Dell's ftp site to see what needs updating and will download them and apply them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back