Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

updating access db in pb 6.0/8.0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jruwol

Programmer
Aug 20, 2001
US
i cannot insert rows or update a table through the database painter in pb8.0. however i can open the table through
ms access and edit it there. i am wondering if is it possible to do so through any versions of powerbuilder.

my thoughts are if is is possible in pb6.0, then i might be able to accomplish the same functionality in pb8.0.
also, is it possible to execute the insert/update through actual code in an application?

much thanks in advance and all that news group lingo stuff. X-)
jruwol

I don't see why not. I've got a 7.0 app that selects from, and updates an Access 2000 database.

Just a follow-up to my previous message: I originally developed the app using version 6.5.1. Of course, the app ran just great in the PowerBuilder IDE, but when I tried to run the EXE I created, I got an error message:

DataWindow Error
--------------------------
Select error: SQLSTATE = S1003
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Program type of range

As a result, a dropdowndatawindow on the screen didn't get populated. So I migrated the app to version 7.0, created a new EXE and that worked.

varocho,

The error you spoke of

Select error: SQLSTATE = S1003
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Program type of range

I also got with oracle 8.0. I figured out that my oracle 8.0 client softwear was not compatible with my pb8.0 and had to upgrade the oracle client to 8.1.6. The only drawback I had with that was pb6.0 and pb6.5.x is not compatible with oracle client 8.1.6, so I have to manage 2 oracle homes in order to keep both versions running (8.0 and 8.1.6). Not too big of a problem.

For the ms access database, it was created in office2000 and I only have whatever version comes with windows2000. I am sure it is not compatible with the 2000 db. I think that an upgrade to office2000 will take care of the ms access specific drivers, yet I have not had the time to expierement with it. Either way I will let you know the outcome when I find out.

Thankyou for your help
jruwol

varacho,

The problem with the insertion and updating of the access table through pb was in the primary key. Ultimately what i did was create two identicle tables, one in oracle one in access, and did not assign a primary key or index for the access table. I then used code to handle unique/primary keys in pb, however it is possible to connect to, insert, update, and delete from both databases. I had to give special attention to the db connection strings, to get the proper parameters to the correct database.

Again thankyou for your help.
jruwol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back