Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating a table with MS Outlook information

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunacol

Programmer
Jan 29, 2001
GB
I am using MS Access 2010, my tables are now lists on Sharepoint (via Office 365) and my front end will reside on each users desktop.

I am trying to list within my database all the communications relating to a user in one place. The different types are mainly, email, phone and face2face. I have a comms table (Tbl_Comms) with PK CommID and 'types' is a field within it. This table links to my main Tbl_Clent (which has clients/leads in it) via the FK Client_ID. Now I want to automatically populate TBL_Comm with the emails sent from or to the cient.

The only way I can think to do this is to link to a MS Outlook folder from within my datavbase then run a query where this linked outlook table is matched to the client/leads table via the email address field so I can identify whcih client_ID each email belongs to. Then update the Tbl_comms with the email information. However, there are a few flaws as I would really need all the relevant emails to be in one folder otherwise I am linking to multiple outlook folders and it gets compliated. And if I was to use an append query to update Tbl_Comms (which is all I can think of) it would need some sort of trigger to run and then the user would have to respond to the append query pop up boxes.

Is there a better way to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back