Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updating a field

Status
Not open for further replies.

brbarto

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
I have an Account table. The primary key is account number. The account number has a hypen in it. The account numbers are now being changed. The hyphen is being taken out and a number is being added. I have the old and new account numbers in Excel. What is the best way to update the Account table and the other tables that also contain the account number.

Thanks,
a newbie

If you already have an excel sheet that has what the new number is for each old number, merely import that into Access and then run update queries against the tables you need to correct. In the update queries, you will include the table to be updated and this crossreference table. You will only need to include the AccountNumber field from the table to be updated, set the query type to update query, and set the update to field to the new AccountNumber from the inported table. Make sure you link the AccountNumber from both tables together. And as always BACKUP you database prior to making any changes liek this. Let me know if I have lost you or you need more help. Programming isn't a profession of choice.
It's a profession of calling...
"Hey Programmer, your application broke again!" [spin]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
robert.l.johnson.iii@ssmb.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back