Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updates compromise windows common shell DLL. Cannot hinder updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlockley

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
US
One of a large number of recently installed updates is corrupting my system.
Late last night Skype stopped working and I could not connect a new Outlook account due to a failing windows common shell DLL. An events check revealed an update barrage shortly prior to the incident. Restoring to a point earlier in the day resolved the issue. By early morning the updates had all been reinstalled. Removing them one by one resolved the issue, but they downloaded again. I removed the updates, which seemed to work. The obvious solution would be to prevent the updates but there is no option.
I was dismayed to discover that I have no visible way to inhibit automatic updates (there is no option on the Control Panel under System and security and one check box I found was greyed out. Nor is it apparently possible to ignore a troublesome update as it was in Windows 7. (Current version is
I need to set up the email account (currently away from a remotely decent connection, which further complicates things) and I am concerned that the restore point will disappear . Removing the updates by hand seems to work, but it's like the sorcerers apprentice.
current windows version 64 bit. can't find build but obviously most recent.
Any back doors to defy Microsoft? Knowledge of the common shell DLL issue? All input appreciated.

A little update with a conspiracy theory: The updates have just been installed, as Windows insert Bing as the search engine every time it happens. Not realizing this I entered a search for the damaged/hindered DLL and received pages of nothing but Windows 10 information. I see a connection. It wouildn't be the first time MS has built in a flaw to force action. It's 3:00 am, so one does, however, get a little crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back