Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Updated ServeRaid and now Slooooowwwww....

Status
Not open for further replies.

yert33

Programmer
Feb 19, 2002
US
NT 4.0 Server w/ latest SP's running on Netfinity 5000 with ServeRaid 3L card. Updated the device driver, BIOS, firmware and ServeRaid Manager app to the latest versions 2 nights ago.

Now a lot of server CPU time is taken up with "RaidServ.exe" as seen thru Task Manager.

Note: when updating the device driver (Control Panel: SCSI Adapters) and when clicking on the Driver tab of the SCSI Adapters applet, I got an error message saying something like it could not retrieve the driver list. I proceeded anyway with all the updates. Now I DO get a list of drivers, no erro message.

Two other servers in this rack had their ServerRaid systems updated at the same time and act normally. There is a"RaidServ.exe" process running on these machines but taking little, if any, processor time.

Any ideas? (Wish I could search this forum!!!)
Maybe I should do the update agian?

Trey

Looks like you may have a version conflict with ServeRAID Manager (RaidServ.exe) and the installed version of driver/firmware. Did you also update ServeRAID Manager?

Yep I updated device driver, BIOS, firmware and ServeRAID Manager in that order.

More info:
3 servers, all NT 4.0, all RAID

Server1:
NF 5000 w/ 3L card
BIOS = 7.00.14
Firmware = 6.10.24
Device driver = 7.00.14
ServeRAID Manager = 7.00.15 (625)

Server2:
NF 5000 w/ 3H card
BIOS = 7.00.14
Firmware = 6.10.24
Device driver = 7.00.14

Server3:
NF 4500R w/ 4M card
BIOS = 7.00.14
Firmware = 7.00.14
Device driver = 7.00.14

Servers 2 and 3 are running fine. Server1 is the one that is slow. Stopped the ServeRAID Manager Agent service on Server1 to try and give it some breathing room during business hours today. I think I may reinstall the updates on servers 1 and 2 tonight. I wonder if the firmware version on server3 is higher thatn 1 or 2 because it's a 4x raid ard..?

Any clues?
Thanks!

Is there a solution to this problem?

It is definately related to the 3L card and the ServeRaid Manager Service. I have problem with both version 7 or 7.10B ServeRaid CDs running Windows Server 2000 or 2003. I have to stop the service (RaidServ.exe) otherwise high CPU usage, but really would like to be notified when something goes wrong with the Raid or Hard Drives.

NF 5000 w/3L card
BIOS = 7.10.18
Firmware = 6.10.24
Device driver = 7.10.18
ServRaid Manager = 7.00.15 (625)

Any solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back