Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update with NULL value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benbunny

Programmer
Mar 19, 2001
HK
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how to update the record with the null value. The action script as follows:

<cfquery name=&quot;updatelog&quot; datasource=&quot;Shipping Management&quot;>
update log
set logdate='#dateformat(form.ilogdate, &quot;mm/dd/yyyy&quot;)#', type='#form.itype#', vesselid='#form.ivesselid#',
voyage='#form.ivoyage#', lastport='#form.ilastport#',
departuredate='#dateformat(form.ideparturedate, &quot;mm/dd/yyyy&quot;)#', callport='#form.icallport#',
position='#form.iposition#', remark1='#form.iremark1#',
activity='#form.iactivity#', activitytype='#form.iactivitytype#',
etaoretd='#form.ietaoretd#', etdate='#dateformat(form.ietdate, &quot;mm/dd/yyyy&quot;)#'
where logid='#form.ilogid#'
</cfquery>

When pressing the submit button, the following error will be shown as follow:

Error Diagnostic Information
ODBC Error Code = 37000 (Syntax error or access violation)

[MERANT][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 8: Incorrect syntax near ','.

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFQUERY), occupying document position (1:1) to (1:62).

Thanks a lot

Hello Benbunny,

If you want to update a field with the NULL value your statement should be something like this.

UPDATE tablename
SET field1 = NULL
WHERE field2 = 'xxx'.

This means that around the value there are no quotes.

Hope this helps.

JNC73

Hi JNC73,

Sorry, I think you get the wrong message or may be my represent skill is not good.

I wanna to know is that when user inputs the fields of a record, may be the user doesn't touch some of the input fields. So the fields may still empty.

When I running the cfquery I shown before, the error may occur. Cause some value of the fields of the form is null.

Thanks JNC73 kindly help!
Can anyone help me!!

Benbunny

Create a new variable and check for NULL before you actual do an update statement.

ie

if (a eq null)
a = null

update table set f1 = a
where f2 = 'xxx'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back