Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update VB6 dll to .NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdeleon

IS-IT--Management
Jun 11, 2002
US
I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post, but..

I have a dll that was written in vb6. An Excel spreadsheet references the dll.

I want to get away from vb6, but I am not sure how to go about it.

How does Excel "play" with .NET?

Is the Excel/dll architecture still supported using .NET objects?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Take care and God bless.

Rene

Hey Riverguy, thanks for the response.

I really am not into doing something "just to do it", so maybe I am not looking at this from the correct point of view.

The biggest problem I have is not knowing how Microsoft is going to support Excel working with COM/dll in the future. I guess I could resign myself to the fact that I could continue to code in XP/VB6 for the foreseeable future, but will future versions of Office continue to support the current architecture? The biggest issue I have is that the application uses the Office Web Components, which are not available with Office 2007 and beyond. I have read about the Visual Studio Tools for Office that comes with VS2008/2010, which is why I was thinking I need to upgrade the dll. But this brings me back to my original question; am I creating a .NET dll (if there is such a thing) or how do I get my current functionality and the new functionality consolidated into something that works with Office 2003 and beyond.

The software cost is not negligible to us, so I want to make sure that I am going down the correct path.

Any guidance/opinion is appreciated.

VB.Net and Excel work well togather. Do a google search to find complete examples. It's not really difficult to do. You will need to make a reference to the COM object for the version(s) of Excel you are using on each user's pc.

As an example take a look here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back