Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update using MIN from second table

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeisch

MIS
May 30, 2003
US
I have been trying to update the value of a column in table A, using the Min value of a column from table B, and have been unable to figure it out.

This is the query I need to use to update the value in Table A

Select COL1, COL2, MIN(UPD_DT)
From Table B
Group By COL1, COL2;

The B.MIN(UPD_DT) needs to used to update A.UPD_DT
where A.COL1 = B.COL1 and A.COL2 = B.COL2.

I've tried many different variations for this query, but just can't find any way that actually works.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Try something like:

update tablea a
set a.upd_dt =
(select min(b.upd_dt)
from tableb
where a.col1 = b.col1 and
a.col2 = b.col2)

I'm pushed for time now so I cannot try it for myself

I tried to do that and it tells me I'm trying to update with a NULL value, I don't think it will work because it is not grouping the minumum date based on the values of col1 and col2.

I tried the following and got an error message:

UPDATE TableA A
SET upd_dt =
(SELECT B2.crt_dt
FROM
(SELECT b.col1, b.col2,
MIN(AC.Upd_dt) AS crt_dt
FROM TableB B
GROUP BY b.col1, B.col2) B2
WHERE A.col1 = B2.col1
AND A.col2 = B2.col2);

The error I get is:

-815, ERROR: A GROUP BY OR HAVING CLAUSE IS IMPLICITLY OR EXPLICITLY SPECIFIED IN A SUBSELECT OF A BASIC PREDICATE OR A SET CLAUSE OF AN UPDATE STATEMENT

Can you not use a group by clause in an update statement? Does anyone know a way around this?

Thanks

Brian's query looks like it ought to work. Is it possible that the inner SELECT might not find a corresponding COL1 and COL2 on table B - this might cause an attempt to set the UPD_DT to null. Try modifying Brian's query to a SELECT instead of an UPDATE, and see what prints out.
Code:
SELECT a.key_column, a.upd_dt,
     (select min(b.upd_dt)
      from tableb b
      where a.col1 = b.col1  and
            a.col2 = b.col2) as created_dt
from tablea a;
(not tested)

Does anyone know a way around this?

Did you consider storing the aggregate outcome within temp table / view first?
DB2 updates are notoriously finnicky, may be that the aggregate as inner part will not work as expected...

Ties Blom
Information analyst

Just did a little test using a view that stores the min values. This leads to a simple update statement, but it looks like a costly solution:

Code:
UPDATE TABLE1 A
SET QTY_ORDER = (SELECT QTY FROM VIEW B WHERE A.FISC_YEAR = B.FYEAR AND A.FISC_MONTH = B.FMONTH)
WHERE .............

Ties Blom
Information analyst

If there is a chance that there are rows in tablea with no corresponding rows in table b, you will need:

update tablea a
set a.upd_dt =
(select min(b.upd_dt)
from tableb
where a.col1 = b.col1 and
a.col2 = b.col2)
where exists
(select c.col1
from tableb c
where a.col1 = c.col1 and
a.col2 = c.col2)

Brian,

You are definitely right about adding the 'exists' clause for the reasons you mention. I think the problem lies in the update having to use a value based on the min value of two dimensions. So ,the referenced value is the outcome of an aggregate. I have no idea if this is possible at all within ONE SQL statement...

Ties Blom
Information analyst

Ties,

I can't see any reason why it should not work. The two dimensions identify a sub-set of the table, and the aggregate function is simply the minimum value for that subset. Where you could get problems would be if there was a need for a 'group by', introducing a heirarchy.

brian

Seems to me that a group by is mandatory if you calculate the min value over 2 dimensions.....

Ties Blom
Information analyst

Thanks Ties,

I ended up loading the data into a temporary table, and then doing my update from there. I don't think I was going to be able to get around the group by clause, which I think I do need.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back