Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update user's own details - Exchange Control Panel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbedone

Vendor
Sep 28, 2006
AU
With ~400 staff we'd like to be able to allow users to adjust their own details that appear in the GAL. I've found they can do this on OWA under Options/See All Options but they can only update Contact Location and Contact Numbers. Is it possible for them to update other fields eg Title (job title) and Department???

There's obviously reasons why they can't update their own name, alias, manager etc but at a school job titles (and therefore departments) change regularly and it would be nice for the end user (or at least a manager eg HR) to be able to change these.

Thanks. That looks great. I'll download the trial and give it a go.

The ability to add a photo would also be handy and it looks like that is possible. But it needs Outlook 2010 and we're on 2007 at the moment.

Read up on Roles Based Administration in Exchange 2010. You can delegate this kind of function to one or more HR people, and they can make these changes through the OWA Administration console.

When all else fails, read the book!

Which is fine for smaller orgs. But once you start to get a larger user base, this can be quite time consuming. Setting up an automated solution such as Directory Update (I'm a big fan) or using ECP, and prompting the user, distributes this load. Just my opinion.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back