Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

update trigger without a form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisLaborde

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2002
US
I've run into a situation where I need to know when records in a database have been updated, but these updates are done using a ADO in an app that I have no control over.

I've already tested that I can add a field "DateLastModified" to the tables I'm interested in without breaking this app. What I now need to do is cause that field to be updated anytime the row is edited.

How would I do this, without having to modify the actual application making the updates in any way? Is it possible?

Thanks!
Travis

If you want this control then you have to control completely how the field can be updated. If it can be updated outside of your program then you are stuffed. There are no table-level events in Jet.

So everywhere the record can be updated you have to add code to modify the LastModified field.

Thanks, I suspected as much. But since I haven't done any real development in Access since 97, I was hoping that I had either forgotten something, or that some new feature would help me.

Thanks again!
Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back