Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update Trigger Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

lespaul

Programmer
Feb 4, 2002
US
I'm trying to create an update trigger for my table. When the record is updated with a case number, I need to insert some information in another table (CMPCASEDOC). One of the things I need to do prior to the insert is run a query against the CASEDOC table to see if there are any existing documents, the the max docseq that already exists and increment it. I have tried many ways of getting the correct information into the docseq variable, but keep getting this error:

[tt]
SQL0402N
The data type of an operand of an arithmetic function or operation operator is not numeric.
Explanation:
A nonnumeric operand is specified for the arithmetic function or operator operator.
The statement cannot be processed.[/tt]

When I ran the query alone, I got a null, which I then assumed was the problem since you can add 1 to null. The query that I currently have returns a zero when the record is null, but I still get the same error as above and can't increment.

Can someone help me to increment my docseq field?

Thanks!
Leslie
Code:
/* Creating SQL trigger LANDREWS.CMPCITMF_TO_CMPCASEDOC */
CREATE TRIGGER LANDREWS.CMPCITMF_TO_CMPCASEDOC 
AFTER UPDATE ON LANDREWS.CMPCITMF 
REFERENCING OLD O NEW N 
FOR EACH ROW  
MODE DB2ROW  
WHEN (O.CASPRE = '' AND N.CASPRE <> '')
 BEGIN 
 DECLARE NEWPATH VARCHAR ( 1000 ) ;
 DECLARE DOCNUM INTEGER;

[b]
 SET DOCNUM = (SELECT INTEGER(CASE WHEN MAX(DOCSEQ) IS NULL THEN 0 ELSE MAX(DOCSEQ) END) FROM LANDREWS.CMPCASEDOC WHERE CASPRE = N.CASPRE AND CASNUM = N.CASNUM);
 SET DOCNUM = DOCNUM + 1;[/b]

SET NEWPATH = (SELECT PATH FROM LANDREWS.CMPCITIMGS C INNER JOIN LANDREWS.CMPIMGPATH P ON C.DOCUMENTID = P.DOCUMENTID WHERE CITNUM = N.CITNUM);

IF NEWPATH <> '' THEN
  INSERT INTO LANDREWS.CMPCASEDOC (CASPRE, CASNUM, DOCSEQ, PATH, ENTRYDATE, ENTEREDBY, DISPTITLE, DOCTYPE) VALUES (N.CASPRE, N.CASNUM, DOCNUM, NEWPATH, N.VIOLDATE, 'LGA_TEST', N.CITNUM +'_N', 'CI');
END IF; 

END;

I figured it out.... the '+' sign it was referring to was in my insert clause (where I was trying to add the '_N' to the citation number....I need ||.....

Thanks!

Leslie

Leslie,

So pleased we could be of help! [thumbsup]

Ok, so we didn't exactly do much, but I'm sure we will next time!
[smile]

Marc

It was the forest for the trees....I just couldn't see that other + sign for about 2 hours....then suddenly it jumped out at me and I had a 'duh' moment!

I've gotten plenty of help in the past, so it's just as well that occasionally I help myself!

Leslie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back