Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

update TOC making all document content disappear

Status
Not open for further replies.

cordeliaflyte

Technical User
Oct 4, 2000
US
I have a long document with a TOC. It has, up until now, worked fine. It pulls from three different styles that appear in each chapter, maps each style to an appropriate style for the TOC and puts in the needed page numbers. I've updated it a bunch of times with no problems.

HOWEVER, having changed nothing that I can think of that would affect it, now when I use the Update Table of Contents command (with the cursor in the frame that it goes in and the "replace existing table of contents" box checked), all I get is the word "Contents" (as desired) for the title, a return, a tab and NOTHING. In fact, it deletes the remainder of the content for the entire document. The TOC lives in a series of text boxes that are linked to what comes before and after them in the book so that things can flow smoothly whatever edits or additions of pages are made.

I have a feeling this is a case of something stupid I'm overlooking. Anyone have any thoughts as to what might be going on here?

Thanks in advance.

Annie

The only thing that would do that is if it's using a different TOC Style to Generate the TOC. Try remaking the TOC from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back