Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update tables from a Query? Need to resolve ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vistor

Technical User
Dec 22, 2000
US
Hi,

I have an database with 8 tables. I update records thru a main form that has a subform on it. The Applicant table on which the subform is based and the Applications table, on which the main form is based has a one to one relationship. An applicant can have submitted only one application per calendar year, although they may apply every year.

All other tables have a one-to-many relation with the Applications table, with the many side being on the Applications table. For example: A committee officer, Committee table, can have reviewed many applications per year on the Applications table.

I can update all records fine via the forms. But I can't update via any ad hoc queries. When I run a query and then try to update a recordset on the query, this message displays on the status line at the bottom of the query:
This Recordset is not Updateable.

Is this because there are more than three tables?

Check your referential integeraty on your relationships this will have an effect on this if you have your rules. Also the only queries you can edit are the select queries. You can not edit an update or make table query.

hth Dave
ToeShot@Hotmail.com
Today Is Tomorrows Yesterday. So Why Wait

If any joins are text to text, the query won't update, even though it works as a select query. Also a join to autonumber must be type "long integer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back