Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update (save changes) and Proceed to Checkout 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrumAt5280

Technical User
Sep 8, 2003
US
I have an update form where the user can change his information and then click the "update" button to save his changes. I also have a "Proceed to checkout" button right below it, my problem is that in my usability test many people make changes and then click on the "proceed to checkout" button thinking that it will not only take them to the checkout area but also save their changes.

Is it possible to do both actions with the checkout button?

Well, you could take whatever code you have on the page that "updates" the users info and put it in the "proceed to checkout" page.

Hope This Helps!

Ecobb

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

i dont see why it would not be possible, i cant give you any real example without seeing your code- but it seems you should be able to do an update to the user, then whatever code to go to checkout and use only one button.

what happens after they click the update button? do they continue shopping or does it just sit there? maybe they could be combined in one button if that is the case.

if not you can do this

<form updateinfo.cfm>
form fields
<input type = "submit" name = "submit" value = "update">
<input type = "submit" name = "submit" value = "Proceed">
</form>

in your update page,
<cfquery>
update query
</cfquery>
<cfif form.submit eq "update">
<cflocation url = "shop.cfm">
<cfelse>
<cflocation url = "checkout.cfm">
</cfif>

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
-Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

bombboy,

I never thought of doing it that way, i think your idea will work great with my application.

Thanks

my checkout buttons point to the update page, then if checkout=yes, goes to the checkout page. always up to date that way.

Exellent Tip Bombboy.

Hadn't crossed my mind to beable to use multiple 'submit' buttons.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back