Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

update SAV on workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

armatek

Programmer
Apr 16, 2001
AU
it is possible or not to update virus definition centralized in workgroup only (without any server)?
thanks.

You might be able to do something with the LiveUpdate service. I believe you can set up an internal LiveUpdate server to pull updates from but how you would configure unmanaged clients to use this I'm not sure.

Neill

You can install Symantec Antivirus on Windows XP Professional or Windows 2000 Professional, and therefor you can still hace centralized management for SAV...

If you just have Windows XP Home edition... well.. then you could technically write a script that will distribute an XDB-file to all the 7.5 directories on the SAVCE clients, which will then be automatically be processed.

I guess anything is possible with the right permissions and the right scripts... I would however try sticking to a Symantec Antivirus Server -> Symantec Antivirus Client setup without the use of a true Server OS like Windows 2000/2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back