Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update Query runs, no warnings, and not passing values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleG

Technical User
Jun 10, 2004
US
Mission: Pass the calculated values from qryBomMaterialsAddParts2.[IncreaseBy] into tblBomMaterials.AssemblyAdds

There can be 0 to 25 or more records involved in the record set to update.
Query 2 provides the recordset needed to update.
Query 3 should update the table, but does not.

Query1 qryBomMaterialsAddParts (Gets the filter criteria [VersionG], [Ln2] and the value to pass [AddForFallout])

SELECT qryBomMaterialsAssem.VersionG, qryBomMaterialsAssem.BomLineId, qryBomMaterialsAssem.LN, Int([LN]) AS Ln2, qryBomMaterialsAssem.ItemType, qryBomMaterialsAssem.AddForFallout, qryBomMaterialsAssem.SubTotal
FROM qryBomMaterialsAssem
WHERE (((qryBomMaterialsAssem.VersionG)=[Forms].[frmBom].[Form]![VersionG]) AND ((Int([LN]))=Int([Forms].[frmBom].[Form].[frmBomMaterialsAssem]![LN])) AND ((qryBomMaterialsAssem.Qty)>0));

Query 2 qryBomMaterialsAddParts2 (Selects the Record Set to update)

SELECT tblBomMaterials.BomLineId, tblBomMaterials.VersionG, tblItems.ItemType, tblBomMaterials.LN, Int([tblBomMaterials].[LN]) AS Family, tblBomMaterials.Qty, IIf(([tblBomMaterials].[LN])=([tblBomMaterials].[LN]/1),1,0) AS IsTopLevel, DLookUp("AddForFallout","QryBomMaterialsAddParts") AS AFF, [Qty]*[AFF] AS IncreaseBy
FROM tblBomMaterials LEFT JOIN tblItems ON tblBomMaterials.ItemNo = tblItems.ItemID
WHERE (((tblBomMaterials.VersionG)=[Forms].[frmBom].[Form]![VersionG]) AND
((Int([tblBomMaterials].[LN]))=Int([Forms].[frmBom].[Form].[frmBomMaterialsAssem]![LN])) AND ((tblBomMaterials.Qty)>0) AND
((IIf(([tblBomMaterials].[LN])=([tblBomMaterials].[LN]/1),1,0))=1));

Query 3 qryBomMaterialsAddParts3 (Should Update records selected in Query 2 (tblBomMaterials.AssemblyAdds)with the value in [IncreaseBy])

UPDATE tblBomMaterials SET tblBomMaterials.AssemblyAdds = qryBomMaterialsAddParts2.IncreaseBy
WHERE (((tblBomMaterials.VersionG)=[Forms].[frmBom].[Form]![VersionG]) AND ((Int([tblBomMaterials].[LN]))=Int([Forms].[frmBom].[Form].[frmBomMaterialsAssem]![LN])) AND ((tblBomMaterials.Qty)>0) AND ((IIf(([tblBomMaterials].[LN])=([tblBomMaterials].[LN]/1),1,0))=1));

The Problem:
Query 3 produces the correct number of records but the fields are all blank, and also runs with out a warning even though warnings are set and passes no values to the table.

Thanks,
UncleG

Query 3 doesn't have qryBomMaterialsAddParts2 in a from clause. I'm surprised you don't get prompted for qryBomMaterialsAddParts2.IncreaseBy.

I also question this syntax:
Code:
[Forms].[frmBom].[Form]![VersionG]

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Thanks for showing some interest here Duane, I have read your answers here at tek tips and have learned a lot over the years. Query 3 was the result of several days of frustration. Trying this that and the other thing. In essence one query contained the records and the values to update and I just couldn't figure out how to pass the value to the target fields in my table. Some where yesterday on tek tips I stumbled across using alais's when working within the same table, written by PHV, to help some one with a delete query. The light came on and I re wrote query 3 using alais's and it all somehow came together.

This is the query that finally did the trick.
Code:
UPDATE tblBomMaterials AS P INNER JOIN qryBomMaterialsAddParts2 AS I ON (P.VersionG = I.VersionG) AND (P.BomLineId = I.BomLineId) SET P.AssemblyAdds = [I].[IncreaseBy]
WHERE (((P.VersionG)=[Forms]![frmBom]![VersionG]) AND ((Int([P].[LN]))=Int([Forms]![frmBom].[Form].[frmBomMaterialsAssem]![LN])) AND ((P.Qty)>0) AND ((IIf(([P].[LN])=([P].[LN]/1),1,0))=1));

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back