Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update Query question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

muntz70

Programmer
Dec 5, 2003
US
I've searched the forums and cannot find a solution (if one exists) to my situation.

I am using Microsoft Access to build tables that I sync down to a Pocket PC. I use ActiveSync to accomplish that. One of the tables in the .mdb I sync down to the handheld has close to 10,000 records in it. I would like to avoid sync'ing the whole table every time (8 minutes -serial connection). I would like to just sync the records that change.

I have 2 tables that have identical structure. (tblDesktop and tblHandheld) The tblDesktop gets cleared out and repopulated from a different database, therefore I cannot use this table diretly to sync to the handheld because ActiveSync would see all records have changed. So, I'm thinking the best way to accomplish my goal, is to compare the tblDesktop with the tblHandheld and only update the records in the tblHandheld that differ from the tblDesktop.

I've tried using the IIF() in an update query, but that forces the data to change no matter what. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

This is a replication issue. I suspect you can replicate Access XP to Access Pocketpc. Use that if you can.

Otherwise there are a number of solutions. The simplest is to timestamp your records. Every time an update is made you re-timestamp. Then you only need to sync all the records whose timestamp is after the max(timestamp) of the pocket database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back