Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

update query question

Status
Not open for further replies.

montyb

Technical User
Sep 8, 2000
US
I have a field called "UnitNo" that I have combined with another field called "Mark" into one field called "MarknUnit". These are identifiers to rail cars that I am tracking. I need to relate these records to another table. The problem is that quite a bit of the UnitNo records are incomple (they should be six characters long, many of which are only four to five characters long). I need to update the incomplete records by putting 0s at the beginning of the record (ex. 3466 to 003466). This will allow the record to relate. How do I do this with an update query? Thanks in advance.

[sig][/sig]

Assuming that the field in question is of the 'String' data type ...

"Update [table1] SET [UnitNo] = "00" & [UnitNo] Where Len([UnitNo]) = 4

"Update [table1] SET [UnitNo] = "0" & [UnitNo] Where Len([UnitNo]) = 5

... no problem. B-) [sig]<p>Amiel<br><a href=mailto:amielzz@netscape.net>amielzz@netscape.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Amiel, thanks for the help.

Question: Should I be entering the above coding to the &quot;update to&quot; area of the update query. I get the error message &quot;The expression contains ivalid syntax. You may have entered an operand without any operator.&quot; The cursor then blinks on &quot;Where&quot;. Otherwise, this looks exactly like what I would need to do. [sig][/sig]

Click on Queries, click 'New', 'Design View', 'Close' show table dialog, click 'View', click 'SQL view', cut and paste the statement, change the table and/or field names where necessary, save the query. :cool:

Suggest executing this against a copy of your data to be sure you're getting the desired results. [sig]<p>Amiel<br><a href=mailto:amielzz@netscape.net>amielzz@netscape.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back