Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update Query Error: Single-Row update/delete affected more than one row of a linked table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denae

Instructor
Apr 15, 2016
US
I have an access database that has linked SQL tables. One of the tables (dbo_EmployeeInformation) has employee records that occasionally need to be updated. I have an extract of current data that I have tried linking into the database as well as creating a table in the database where I paste the information.

I don't want to replace the entire content of dbo_EmployeeInformation, because I would loose historical data for employees that have left the company, I just need to compare the new data with the old to see if anything changed (Name, Address, Manager, etc) and update dbo_EmployeeInformation with these changes.

I created an update query that relates the two tables on their primary keys:
[dbo_EmployeeInformation].[strEmployeeID] = [tblEmployeeInformation_Update].[Employee ID]​

When I run the query I get the error:
Single-Row update/delete affected more than one row of the linked table. Unique index contains duplicate values.
I have checked both tables and there are no duplicates in the primary key fields.

Here is the query I am using:

Code:
UPDATE dbo_EmployeeInformation INNER JOIN tblEmployeeInformation_Update ON dbo_EmployeeInformation.strEmployeeID = tblEmployeeInformation_Update.[Employee ID] SET dbo_EmployeeInformation.strActiveStatus = [tblEmployeeInformation_Update].[Active Status], dbo_EmployeeInformation.strOnLeave = [tblEmployeeInformation_Update].[On Leave], dbo_EmployeeInformation.strEmployeeName = [tblEmployeeInformation_Update].[Employee Name], dbo_EmployeeInformation.strFirstName = [tblEmployeeInformation_Update].[First Name], dbo_EmployeeInformation.strLastName = [tblEmployeeInformation_Update].[Last Name], dbo_EmployeeInformation.strMiddleName = [tblEmployeeInformation_Update].[Middle Name], dbo_EmployeeInformation.strPrimaryAddressFull = [tblEmployeeInformation_Update].[Primary Address - Full], dbo_EmployeeInformation.strAddress1 = [tblEmployeeInformation_Update].[Address 1], dbo_EmployeeInformation.strAddress2 = [tblEmployeeInformation_Update].[Address 2], dbo_EmployeeInformation.strHomePhone = [tblEmployeeInformation_Update].[Home Phone], dbo_EmployeeInformation.strJobTitle = [tblEmployeeInformation_Update].[Job Title], dbo_EmployeeInformation.strLocationCode = [tblEmployeeInformation_Update].[Location Code], dbo_EmployeeInformation.strLocationName = [tblEmployeeInformation_Update].[Location Name], dbo_EmployeeInformation.strDirectManager = [tblEmployeeInformation_Update].[Direct Manager], dbo_EmployeeInformation.strHRBusinessPartner = [tblEmployeeInformation_Update].[HR Business Partner];

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When you linked to the SQL Server, did Access recognize the primary key? Look at the table design of both tables and confirm there is a key by the field names.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Yes, both tables have the Employee ID fields designated as primary.

Aside from your issue, your UPDATE query looks 'dangerous' (to me) - there is no WHERE part to it, so if you run it, you will update ALL records in your dbo_EmployeeInformation table with the same information.

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back