Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update problem using proxy server

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg53

Programmer
Feb 1, 2003
US
Have a server with 2003 on it. Use it as a proxy server for all my workstations ( running Win 2000 ) to access the internet. Which they all can.

Problem is that I cannot get Ad-Aware or Spybot to be able to look for and/or download any updates. Both have a place to setup for and allow the use of a proxy, but I cannot get either one to work. Update process just cannot connect out.

But keep in mind that these same workstations have no problem accessing other sites on the internet.

Hopeing for something simple.

Does Ad-Aware and Spybot download over HTTP or FTP? If HTTP then I am not sure, but if it does FTP does your proxy server allow FTP?

In our company our firewall sends all web traffic (80, 443) to a proxy server but will still service all other traffic there at the firewall. So if we at our company had the same set up I would need to allow FTP traffic out of the firewall to the update servers.

Hope it helps

http - I have a manual workaround going but it sure would be nice to be able to have it work automaticly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back