Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Update Perl Script to latest version of Perl

Status
Not open for further replies.

pendle666

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
GB
Hello

The host company for my website has done some updates and now uses Site Tools rather than CPanel, and the version of Perl is now v5.30.3

The support team have advised that my search scripts should be updated to the latest version of Perl.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what does that mean exactly? Is this a re-write into an updated language?

I remember from years ago that the first line was very important - this is in mine:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

Can someone point me in the right direction? Perl is something I know nothing about.

Thank you in advance

thank you for helping

Hi

I am afraid this may be long and painful process. I have a bigger Perl script I use once an year and occasionally I have surprises like some language features were deprecated since last use. Then I need to learn what is about, how affects me and how to fix it.

Theoretically you could do 2 things :
[ul]
[li]Take Perl 5 version history and since the Perl version for which your script was originally written, follow all Full release notes links and in the linked pages read the Incompatible changes sections. If any of those affects your script, fix it.[/li]
[li]See how your script crashes, Google the error messages, fix them.[/li]
[/ul]

Sorry, I know no simple method. Though you may still hope I misunderstood the situation and your provider was thinking to something else.

Feherke.
feherke.github.io

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back